The sound of beans breaking in half, the taste of sweet tea, and the sound of laughter are just some of the things I think of when I remember sitting on the front porch! Family and friends all gathered around sharing stories and making memories. You never knew who would show up on the porch but the porch was never empty. Anyone who stopped was offered a hot cup of coffee and a smile! Many songs were written, recipes traded, and naps were taken right there on the front porch. It was a place where loved ones and strangers just passing by would come to relax and enjoy the time and company the good Lord provided. Somehow sitting on the porch made life a little more enjoyable.

As I reflect on memories of a simpler time I felt led to bring some of that same encouragement to you through my writing…so come on over to The Front Porch. I hope that your heart will be touched as you read the things the Lord lays on my heart to share…kick your shoes off(if yer wearin any)…sit a spell...coffee anyone?



Monday, February 14, 2011

Love, Laughter,...and Anna

Today on Valentines Day I am reminded of one of the greatest examples of love I've ever known! Her name was Anna.
   Anna was beautiful! What made her so beautiful wasnt just her lipstick and curls, but Annas beauty came from within her heart! So full of love and willing to share a cup full of love with every person who crossed her path.
   When i was a little girl Anna used to hold my hand as we walked down the road. Shed pick a pretty flower in the park, smell it, then put it in my little hand. She told me stories about her when she was a little girl. Anna always had a smile on her face that looked like laughter was gonna come bursting out any minute...and it usually did! I could always count on her to be there if I was sad or lonely. She was always full of hugs and kisses! You never got past her without getting one. "I love you" came out of her mouth more times than I can even count! But when Anna said she loved you, she meant it...and you knew it! Love flowed out of everything she did! Anna and I had alot of fun together. I remember staying up late at night just finding stuff to laugh at. Shed let me put rollers in her hair and we'd dress up in fancy clothes. She'd let me fix her hair anyway I wanted. She didn't complain at all about it getting messed up, she was enjoying every moment of the togetherness. She  used to make me mayanaise sandwhiches for a snack. Shed sprinkle a little sugar on them and then say" come and give me a sugarpop"! I remember a night when she was popping some corn for us to eat. We were in the other room when we heard loud popping sounds. Anna ran to the kitchen hollering," Oh I forgot to put the lid on!". We sat right down in  the middle of the floor and laughed as the popcorn popped into the air and fell all around us! It was a funny sight! Anna  was like that. It was from her that I learned to "just laugh"!
   Anna became my best friend. We shared many secrets and made many memories. She loved everyone! She didn't know a stranger. She spoke to every person she saw. I remember many times waiting on her in the grocery store while she told the clerk all about what we were doing that day. She didn't have a clue who the store clerk was but she told her she loved her before she left anyhow. She told everyone she loved them including the mailman and the rent lady.
   There was such a glow coming from Anna! Never a harsh word to anyone, always a smile, and always a giving heart! She would give away her last five dollars. I've seen her do this many times. She didn't even have any milk but she'd give her last five dollars to a sweet little girl who came to the door trying to raise money for a school trip. She always saw the good in everyone. She was so full of energy and you were always in for an adventure when she was around!
   Anna didn't have alot of money. She only received a ss check each month from her husband who had passed away. She lived in a small three room apartment, but she felt rich! Most of our fun memories were made right there in that little place! You see, to Anna home was wherever your loved ones were. Love is all that mattered to her. She knew everyone needed to be loved so she loved people in every way she could. She put her own needs and wants aside so she could meet the needs of others. She never bragged about her self but was always telling everyone else how beautiful they were. Everything was beautiful in Anna's eyes! She had a heart full of forgiveness that always forgave no matter what someone did to her.

   The Bible says in Ephesians 5:2 Live a life filled with love following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

You couldn't look at Anna without seeing Christ in her! She was loving, joyful, kind, patient, long suffering, and she was an inspiration to me!
   In 2004 I whispered "I love you, Jesus is waiting for you" in her ear. I held her hand as she took her last breath. My grandma Anna went to be with her Lord and Saviour that day!

   Are you living in a way that will show others the love of Christ? Can they see his love when they look at you?  The Bible tells us all about Jesus Christ and how he lived his life so that we may have an example of how we are supposed to be living. People need love! They are lonely, hurting, depressed and confused! Let the love of Christ shine through you and touch their hearts!

She was my grandma....her name was Anna...

In memory of my grandma Anna Faber. This BearHug is devoted to the valentine I love with all my heart!
  

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderfully sweet tribute to your Grandmother! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really miss her! She is missed by many, I just pray they all get to see her again someday!

    ReplyDelete