The sound of beans breaking in half, the taste of sweet tea, and the sound of laughter are just some of the things I think of when I remember sitting on the front porch! Family and friends all gathered around sharing stories and making memories. You never knew who would show up on the porch but the porch was never empty. Anyone who stopped was offered a hot cup of coffee and a smile! Many songs were written, recipes traded, and naps were taken right there on the front porch. It was a place where loved ones and strangers just passing by would come to relax and enjoy the time and company the good Lord provided. Somehow sitting on the porch made life a little more enjoyable.

As I reflect on memories of a simpler time I felt led to bring some of that same encouragement to you through my writing…so come on over to The Front Porch. I hope that your heart will be touched as you read the things the Lord lays on my heart to share…kick your shoes off(if yer wearin any)…sit a spell...coffee anyone?



Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Slippery Ice

     One night a few weeks ago, I heard my dog Buddy barking outside. I went outside to see what he was barking at and all of a sudden my feet went out from under me! One minute I was walking and then before I even knew it I was flat on my back on the cold wet ground! I had slipped on some ice and down I went! Thank the Lord he spared me from hitting my head or breaking any bones. I landed on my back with my left side taking most of the hit. I was really sore from the left side of my neck all the way down to my left hip. I could barely walk for a week or two. That fall could have been prevented if I would have been more careful and watched for the ice. For one thing, it was dark and another it had been raining and I thought all the ice had melted. When morning came I looked out the back door and I couldnt believe my eyes! That "icy area" that had knocked me flat on my back was barely as wide as a gallon of milk. It was just a small piece of ice big enough for my left foot to slip on.Although ice can be very pretty, I know now that it can be decieving. Dont think you can walk out in the dark after theres been any ice because even the smallest patch can cauce much damage! I should have taken the flashlight with me and I could have saved myself two weeks of pulled muscles and not being able to get the things done I needed to get done during that time.
     Do you know that sin is like the ice? Even the smallest thought of sin can knock you off of your feet and leave you with "spiritual damage"! We often think we can get away with "just a little", but the truth is even the thought of sin can land us flat on our back where we will not be able to accomplish what God has called us to do. God is merciful and he will forgive us when we confess our sin to him and ask him for forgiveness. Although he spared me from broken bones or a concussion, I still suffered pulled muscles from my carelessness. If I would have taken a flashlight and also realized that even a little ice is slick enough to hurt someone, I would not have fallen. Likewise, if you will take the light of Gods word with you out into this dark world, and realize that sin is "slick" no matter how big or small you think it is, you can keep yourself standing firm for Christ!
     God wont use us to bring people to him if we keep sin in our lives! Stay away from all sin! Walk around it! If not, you are setting yourself up for a fall!


Psalm 19:13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins. Dont let them control me! Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path

Psalm 119:11 Your word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against you

Proverbs 24:9 The thought of foolishness is sin and the scorner is an abomination to the lord

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing your heart and what the Lord has laid within it Trish! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete