The sound of beans breaking in half, the taste of sweet tea, and the sound of laughter are just some of the things I think of when I remember sitting on the front porch! Family and friends all gathered around sharing stories and making memories. You never knew who would show up on the porch but the porch was never empty. Anyone who stopped was offered a hot cup of coffee and a smile! Many songs were written, recipes traded, and naps were taken right there on the front porch. It was a place where loved ones and strangers just passing by would come to relax and enjoy the time and company the good Lord provided. Somehow sitting on the porch made life a little more enjoyable.

As I reflect on memories of a simpler time I felt led to bring some of that same encouragement to you through my writing…so come on over to The Front Porch. I hope that your heart will be touched as you read the things the Lord lays on my heart to share…kick your shoes off(if yer wearin any)…sit a spell...coffee anyone?



Thursday, November 17, 2011

Be Thankful

Its that time of year again! Time for turkey n stuffing, pumpkin pie and giving thanks! What are you thankful for? Oh, we usually thank the Lord for our meals..so much so that it almost becomes a religious act instead of truly being thankful that the Lord has blessed us with something to eat. There are many people who are not sure if they are going to have food on the table or not! We tend to always thank the Lord for the "good" weather he has brought us. I guess we should be thankful for the "not so good" weather since our Lord is the one who brings them both. We say we are thankful for our families but id say we don't really know what true thankfulness is until we don't have whatever it is that we say we are thankful for! Recently I stood in a funeral home and watched a man say goodbye to his son who was only in his thirties! This same man had just lost his wife of over thirty years in a car accident just 3 years earlier. My heart ached for this man! I can't imagine the pain he must be feeling. I'm sure he was still feeling the pain and emptiness from his wife passing and now his only child lay before him. The son left behind two little girls ages 11 and 13. As I saw the tears run down their little cheeks, I suddenly felt so unthankful! I had been complaining earlier about the smallest little things. The kitchen is in the middle of  remodeling and I complained about having to do dishes in a pan. My truck is broke down and the weather isn't what Id like it to be.......and on and on!  Two little girls lost their mamaw and now their daddy. A man stands alone after death takes his wife and his only child. How  Unthankful I have been! We should really be ashamed to be complaining about things in life that really don't even matter in the end. So what if our house project isn't finished yet or we don't have enough money to pay our bills. We should be thankful that we have our loved ones around us this Thanksgiving. Many people have no one! I pray that the Lord fills this family up with his comfort. I pray that he would forgive us when we seem to be ungrateful. Life isn't always going to go smooth. Its ok to get upset about things in life, but when we do start to get upset, lets remember to be thankful for what we do have instead of focusing on what we dont have! It could be worse! If you are blessed to have your loved ones around you this Thanksgiving, be thankful to the Lord and make sure you tell them you love them...it may be your last chance.
Psalm 100:4
Enter into his gates with Thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name

No comments:

Post a Comment