The sound of beans breaking in half, the taste of sweet tea, and the sound of laughter are just some of the things I think of when I remember sitting on the front porch! Family and friends all gathered around sharing stories and making memories. You never knew who would show up on the porch but the porch was never empty. Anyone who stopped was offered a hot cup of coffee and a smile! Many songs were written, recipes traded, and naps were taken right there on the front porch. It was a place where loved ones and strangers just passing by would come to relax and enjoy the time and company the good Lord provided. Somehow sitting on the porch made life a little more enjoyable.

As I reflect on memories of a simpler time I felt led to bring some of that same encouragement to you through my writing…so come on over to The Front Porch. I hope that your heart will be touched as you read the things the Lord lays on my heart to share…kick your shoes off(if yer wearin any)…sit a spell...coffee anyone?



Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Smoke ~n~ Crash

It was a Sunday morning. My son was here to give me a ride to church because my truck was broke down. I got up out of bed and went into the kitchen to put my coffee water on. A few minutes later my son says, " whats that smoke in the kitchen?".. In my "know what im talkin about mom voice", I said " thats not smoke honey, its just steam from my tea kettle." He runs into the kitchen saying,"Thats smoke Mom!" I ran into the kitchen and smoke was so thick we could hardly see each other! The tea kettle water wasnt hot at all, but the can opener sure was! I had turned on the wrong burner and had for some reason sat the can opener on that back burner! HAHA..this wasnt a bit funny at the time although I can laugh about it now.. My son ran around opening windows and doors while I got the melting can opener and threw it out the back door! The smell of the burning plastic was terrible! So with my nerves all a wreck and the house filled with smoke I finished getting ready for church. Before we left I suggested we sit the fan in the kitchen window so it could blow out the smell while we were gone. Before the fan would fit in the window I had to move this wicker stand I had in front of the window . So without thinking and remembering this stand was wicker and the shelves were not built in, I pulled on one side of it and CRASH!!!!! Glass dishes went falling to the floor one after the other! UGGGHH Are you kidding me????  Why did I pull the side of the wicker stand knowing that the shelves were just laying in it! I let go of the shelf and ran out crying. By this time it was ten minutes til 9.....with church starting at 9! What a morning this was! I had no idea which dishes broke and which did not! I just left them all in the floor and got in the car. My son followed me out trying to comfort me with his best 22 year old wisdom he could. "It will be alright mom, my days go like this all the time"...Bless his heart, Im really glad he was there with me when this happened. About 15 minutes into the church service I noticed I had blood running down my ankle. Real attractive. I wondered if anyone had noticed. I got cut somehow  during the dish crash and didnt even realize it! I went to the bathroom and cleaned it up and put a band aid on it. When I got back home to clean up the mess I found that 2 of the dishes that had broke were  my two favorite bowls. So I sat and cried a little more. Then I heard the still small voice of my Lord saying," come here my child, let me comfort you...its been a few days since you have shared your heart with me" Then I felt ashamed. I had been so busy the past few days that I had not really spent time with God. Oh, I thought about him all day long and I even told others about him, but I had neglected to actually take some time to sit down with him and enjoy his company and talk to him about things going on in my life! If I hadnt had the bad morning with the smoky house and the broken dishes I might have went on another week or two without spending time with him. I thanked him for getting my attention even though I lost my 2 favorite bowls. It could have been worse! Has God been trying to get your attention? We are going to have bad days as long as we are here on this earth. But if you know Christ as your saviour...you have the blessing of being able to sit and talk to the Lord and bathe yourself in his presence!No problem is to big for God to handle. We will never be problem free until we get to Heaven but we will always have the Lord to run to with our problems! Until he comes to take us out of here, lets spend time everyday talking to him and giving him our troubles. It makes the burden not so heavy when we give it to him to carry. So whether you  have a broken dish or a broken relationship...run to the one who loves you the most! It is so worth it to take time each day just to sit with him and enjoy his company!
1Peter 4:12-13
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you as though some strange thing happened to you. But rejoice in as much as ye are partakers of Christ's suffering that when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with eceeding joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment